As I was driving cross country a while back, I saw some things that I thought were interesting:
1) I drove on a patch of highway that had to have had one dead skunk on the side of the road every ten miles. (Is there a place that boasts of being the Skunk Capital of the World?)
2) I saw windmills, windmills, and more windmills. Wouldn’t it be great if wind and sun could be our main sources of energy?
3) Which takes me to the next item on my list. I saw a lot of oil drills. Those things always remind me of that Rock Hudson, James Dean, and Elizabeth Taylor movie Giant. (I’m not even sure if there were oil drills in that movie…)
4) Oh my goodness! How neat is it to drive through a little Dairy Queen-type of town and see those beautiful, old courthouses?!?
5)Yikes! There’s a place called “Cannibal Draw”. I don’t even want to know how that place got its name!!!
6) You are not going to believe this: I pass by a functioning Drive-In Theater on my regular route. Oh my goodness! That takes me way back to days when we (even our Cocker Spaniel!) would go to a drive-in movie and feel all snug in the comfort of our car- watching the movie as fireflies fluttered around, anticipating the cold, sweet watermelon that awaited us in my grandmother’s kitchen.
Sometimes it seems that a long, boring drive through the flat, barely inhabited plains can be a lot more picturesque than one would expect…